Highlights for sildenafil
Sildenafil oral tablet doesn’t cause drowsiness, but it can cause other side effects.
More common side effects
The more common side effects of sildenafil can include:
- upset stomach
- flushing (reddening and warming of the face)
- trouble sleeping
- an erection that lasts longer than normal
- respiratory infection
- sore throat
- runny nose
If these effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side effects
Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects. Call 911 if your symptoms feel life-threatening or if you think you’re having a medical emergency. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Low blood pressure. Symptoms can include:
- blurry vision
- nausea or vomiting
- Increased shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Priapism (an erection that won’t go away). Symptoms can include:
- an erection that lasts more than 4 hours
- Vision problems. Symptoms can include:
- sudden vision loss in one or both eyes
- Hearing problems. Symptoms can include:
- sudden hearing loss
- tinnitus (ringing in your ears)
- Heart problems, such as heart attack, stroke, or irregular heart rate. Symptoms can include:
- chest pain
- shortness of breath
- trouble speaking
- nausea or vomiting
- feeling lightheaded
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible side effects. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always discuss possible side effects with a healthcare provider who knows your medical history.
- Priapism warning: This drug can cause priapism, which is an erection that won’t go away. If you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. If it’s not treated right away, this condition can cause permanent damage to your penis.
- Sudden vision loss warning: This drug can cause sudden vision loss in one or both eyes. This can be a sign of a serious eye problem. If this occurs, stop taking sildenafil and call your doctor right away.
- Sudden hearing loss warning: This drug can cause hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in your ears), or dizziness. If you have sudden hearing loss with or without tinnitus or dizziness, stop taking sildenafil and call your doctor right away.
- Use in children warning: Children with PAH who take this drug may be at increased risk of death. Children should not take sildenafil.
Sildenafil is a prescription drug. It comes in the form of a tablet and suspension (liquid). Both are taken by mouth. It also comes in an intravenous (IV) form, which is only given by a doctor.
Sildenafil oral tablet is available as the brand-name drugs Viagra and Revatio. It’s also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less than the brand-name version. In some cases, they may not be available in every strength or form as the brand-name drug.
Why it’s used
Sildenafil oral tablet is used to treat ED and PAH. Generic oral tablets are available for both conditions, but the brand-name drugs each treat only one of the conditions.
- Viagra: This drug is used to treat ED. With ED, you’re unable to get or maintain an erection.
- Revatio: This drug is used to treat PAH. With PAH, the blood pressure in your lungs is too high. Your heart has to work very hard to pump blood into your lungs.
How it works
Sildenafil belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
Sildenafil works in different ways, depending on the condition it’s being used to treat.
- For ED: Sildenafil works by increasing blood flow to the penis. This helps you get or maintain an erection. Sildenafil only works for ED if you’re sexually aroused.
- For PAH: Sildenafil works by relaxing the muscles and opening up the blood vessels in your lungs. This decreases the blood pressure in your lungs. Sildenafil slows down the progression of your illness. It also makes you more able to exercise.
Sildenafil oral tablet can interact with other medications, vitamins, or herbs you may be taking. An interaction is when a substance changes the way a drug works. This can be harmful or prevent the drug from working well.
To help avoid interactions, your doctor should manage all of your medications carefully. Be sure to tell your doctor about all medications, vitamins, or herbs you’re taking. To find out how this drug might interact with something else you’re taking, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Examples of drugs that can cause interactions with sildenafil are listed below.
Drugs you should not use with sildenafil
Do not take these drugs with sildenafil. Doing so can cause dangerous effects in the body. Examples of these drugs include:
- Nitrates, such as isosorbide mononitrate, isosorbide…