- Heart disease warning: You shouldn’t use tadalafil if you have a heart condition and your doctor has advised against sexual activity. Call your doctor right away if you have symptoms during sex such as chest pain, dizziness, or nausea. Sexual activity can put an extra strain on your heart. This is especially true if your heart is already weak from a heart attack or heart disease.
- Priapism warning: Priapism is an erection that won’t go away. Without treatment, this condition could cause permanent damage to your penis. This damage includes impotence (not being able to have an erection). If you get an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, call your doctor right away.
Tadalafil is a prescription drug. It comes as an oral tablet.
Tadalafil oral tablet is available as the brand-name drugs Cialis and Adcirca. It’s also available in a generic form. Generic drugs usually cost less than the brand-name version. In some cases, they may not be available in all strengths or forms as the brand-name drug.
Why it’s used
Tadalafil (Cialis) is used for the treatment of men who have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or erectile dysfunction (ED), or both conditions. Tadalafil (Adcirca) is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
With BPH, the prostate gland is enlarged but isn’t cancerous. It can pinch or squeeze your urethra (the tube that carries urine from the kidneys out of the body). Symptoms of BPH include trouble urinating, painful urination, and a frequent or urgent need to urinate.
With ED, the penis doesn’t fill up with enough blood to harden and expand when a man is sexually excited. ED can also prevent a man from keeping an erection.
PAH is a rare but serious form of high blood pressure. It occurs in the pulmonary arteries, which are blood vessels in your lungs.
How it works
Tadalafil belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
Tadalafil may help relax the muscle in your prostate and bladder. This could help improve your BPH symptoms.
To improve ED symptoms, tadalafil helps increase blood flow to the penis. This can help you get and keep an erection. For tadalafil to help you have an erection, you need to be sexually aroused.
For PAH, tadalafil works to improve your ability to exercise by relaxing blood vessels in your lungs. This increases blood flow.
Tadalafil oral tablet doesn’t usually cause drowsiness, but it can cause other side effects.
More common side effects
The more common side effects that can occur with tadalafil include:
- upset stomach
- back pain
- muscle aches
- flushing (reddish skin)
- stuffy or runny nose
If these effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side effects
Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects. Call 911 if your symptoms feel life-threatening or if you think you’re having a medical emergency. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Priapism (in men). Symptoms can include:
- a painful erection that won’t go away
- Vision changes. Symptoms can include:
- seeing a shade of blue when looking at objects
- trouble telling the difference between the colors blue and green
- a sudden decrease or loss of vision in one or both eyes
- Hearing loss. Symptoms can include:
- a sudden loss or decrease in hearing
- ringing in the ears
- Low blood pressure. Symptoms can include:
- feeling lightheaded or dizzy
- Angina (chest pain)
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible side effects. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always discuss possible side effects with a healthcare provider who knows your medical history.
Tadalafil oral tablet can interact with other medications, vitamins, or herbs you may be taking. An interaction is when a substance changes the way a drug works. This can be harmful or prevent the drug from working well.
To help avoid interactions, your doctor should manage all of your medications carefully. Be sure to tell your doctor about all medications, vitamins, or herbs you’re taking. To find out how this drug might interact with something else you’re taking, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Examples of drugs that can cause interactions with tadalafil are listed below.
Angina drugs (nitrates)
If you take tadalafil with nitrates, your blood pressure could suddenly drop to dangerously low levels. This could make you dizzy or cause you to faint. Examples of nitrates include:
- isosorbide dinitrate
- isosorbide mononitrate
- amyl nitrite
- butyl nitrite
High blood pressure or prostate drugs (alpha blockers)
If you take tadalafil with certain alpha blockers, your blood pressure could suddenly drop to low levels that are dangerous. This could make you dizzy or cause you to faint. Examples of these drugs…